Celebrate Music In Our Schools Month!
Posted by William Hall on Friday, March 1, 2013
March is Music In Our Schools Month and MIOSM means Advocacy!
Music programs nationwide are in danger. State and local legislators are attempting to make up for funding shortfalls in this difficult economy by cutting education budgets, which can place school music at risk. Advocacy takes place on many fronts, and advocates for music education need to learn to speak to different audiences, each of whom has a key contribution to make. Music In Our Schools Month – March 2013 – is a perfect time to get involved and do your part to ensure that America’s students have access to a comprehensive, sequential music education taught by exemplary music educators!
Here are some resources to help you celebrate Music In Our Schools Month
- Share Your Story — How has music affected your life? Add your story to our growing collection and help NAfME convince decision makers that music must be protected in school.
- View the Concert for Music In Our Schools Month
- Why Music? Celebrity PSAs for MIOSM – Encourage your local radio stations to download and play on the air these 60-second celebrity messages about the importance of music education.
- Register for Your Flag Certificate – A U.S. Flag will be flown over the U.S. Capitol in honor of MIOSM. Register to receive a certificate of commemoration.
- Music Education Fact a Day for MIOSM – Follow NAfME on Twitter or “like” NAfME on Facebook. Each day in March, we will post a fact or quote that will reinforce the value and benefits of music education that you can share with your friends and followers.
- View the Music In Our Schools Month Webinar
- What States Did for MIOSM 2011 — Check out what members around the country did to celebrate MIOSM 2011.